Friday, 31 January 2014

A Day Out in Oxford - Blackwells and the Ashmolean

The idea of a trip to Oxford was to look at the art books in Blackwells' half price sale; the first one I saw was the new Eric Ravilious book which has recently topped the sales charts in the Guardian,  they had listed it as available in hardback for £35 and paperback for £16.95; having only been published in October 2013, it isn't available in paperback, and with the Blackwells  offer of a £5 reduction, I wish I'd bought it, it looks fabulous.
I bought a book on the pre-Raphaelites in the end and coincidentally the Aidan Weller gallery up the road had an exhibition of pre-Raphaelite lithographs and some original drawings in wonderful frames:

From there along to the Ashmolean where approaching from the right hand side, I got an interesting view of the front elevation:

Once inside, the new exhibition is Kevin Coates very clever Bestiary of Jewels:
From there I had a look at the permanent displays, below is one of a pair of marble candelabras given to the Ashmolean in 1776 by MP Sir Roger Newdigate who had bought them in Italy:

From there I had a look at the Egyptian stonework which is wonderful:

 Above the false door stela of Sheri depicting husband and wife eating at a table laden with food. About 2700BC
 Above west wall of the Shrine of King Taharqa, detail of part of it below:
Wonderful vases depicting stories are everywhere:
And then onto the paintings, this time a Danish still life by Adriaen Coorte 1683-1707, caught my eye:
And last but not least the pre-Raphaelite rooms, John William Inchbold's 'A Study in March'
 I'm going to go back before long and buy the Eric Ravilious book.





No comments:

Post a Comment