Friday, 5 June 2015

Old Town Festival Open Gardens Day 14 June

Was it a good idea to agree to open my garden for this? It certainly wasn't a good idea to develop a new seating area, I really needed to spend my time making the garden look its best. Never mind, I love developing my garden and am keen to share what I've done with others, especially as it's part of the Old Town Festival and proceeds go to good causes. There are 5 other gardens open a week on Sunday, within walking distance of each other, and with extra things like pole lathe wood turning demonstrations, plant sales, ceramics and teas. Most, but not all gardens are open from 12.30-5pm, to find out more about the gardens open, you can buy a £5 ticket in advance from Rose Earle's newsagents, Old Town Hardware or Suain Stores in Goddard Avenue, and on the day from 52, St.Margaret's Road and 39 The Mall.
Posters advertising the gardens look like this:

 Some of the gardens will have signs outside, I was happy to do this, but when my sign was erected by Atwell Martin,  9 days ahead of the opening, it caused some consternation, I've taken it down and will have to rethink it for next weekend.
Meanwhile I thought I'd have a look at the garden now, although it will be different in a week's time:
 Above 2 colours of poppies, and below, almost black irises
 Orlaya grandiflora is already looking fab, I had 74 seedlings from last years plant, and now have them everywhere:
 An arch and a woodstore
 A Clematis which won't last until next weekend
 Iris sibirica below
 The Aquilegias and forget me nots will be over by next weekend
 Is the tree seat at an angle, or am I?
 Can't believe how fab the Spindle flowers look, so green and the fruits are so pink and orange
 Wild bits:
 I'm quite pleased with the way it looks just now; Apart from looking round the garden, there will be  cream teas, cake, a plant sale and ceramics from Tim Carroll. I hope to see you next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment