Wednesday, 15 July 2015

A Special Tuesday Visit to Special Plants

Yes they are called special Tuesdays, when Derry Watkins, plant guru and inspiration to many  gardeners, gives a talk at 11am and 2.30pm on a subject appropriate to the time of year. A list appears on her website of the topics of Tuesday talks, yesterday it was 'Summer Climbers'. We were given a list of summer climbers, and sitting in a room adjacent to her kitchen overlooking the most fabulous views of the valley and her garden, Derry gave a short talk illustrated with plants. I love the idea of climbers scaling the house, but the Cobaea which has survived the winter and some random chopping by me of dead looking bits, appeared to be reaching for the sky, well bedroom window at least, and was then blown down. Derry says small pins in the wall joined by green twine is the answer to help plants climb. I will try that.
After the talk, there's a handout which identifies all the plants in the garden, and Derry comes out and chats about various things before leaving people to enjoy themselves looking at how things have changed since their last visit.
I took lots of photos, I'll include the best ones here:
 Above is the entrance to the nursery, and below a couple of photos which convey the vast array of plants on offer

There's also a special shade loving plants poly tunnel which doesn't look that exciting from a photo, so I've left that out.
Below this pot of combined Coleus and Foxglove beautifully, it's just by the front door.
 The sweet peas were gorgeous:
Here's a view from behind the pond towards the house

I love this view below of the Eryngium ? with hedges and valley in the background
The gravel garden beside the kitchen area is so beautifully planted and managed, I lingered for ages there and I took several photos of it, seen below:


I nearly missed an area below the garden, a display of vibrant, wild planting, lots of Echinacea, Poppies and other things, worth a talk in itself, and showing how important height can be for dramatic effect:
I love these petals flying back Echinacea
so did a butterfly:
After being wowed in the garden, it was time to buy plants which might help me recreate some of my favourite things in the garden, here they are.
As you can see, it's one of each, because I love collecting plants as much as getting a lovely overall effect. The trick may be to combine the two, but I haven't managed that yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment