Monday, 25 January 2016

Wassailing and other Things in the Secret Garden

This was my second year of joining the wassailing, yarn bombing and very importantly catching up with people and looking forward to the growing season. Having just finished reading 'On Silbury' by Adam Thorpe, I'm feeling affected by ancestors and custom, so I was in the perfect frame of mind for the event.
It was great to see the wonderful Donkersleys, Debs and Gerb had been crowned Queen and King of the wassailing. I took lots of photos of this photogenic couple, I'll see what they look like:
 I think that one is the best, although Gerb's crown has slipped a bit, and although the day didn't seem dull, it looks a bit dark. I've fiddled with the contrast and brightness, and think that's better:
There was cider available, apple juice plus tea and cake at the refreshment tent and table:
 The photo below gives an idea of the event after the wassailing ceremony to encourage the fruit trees to be productive.
 Bang to Rites were as ever a wonderful accompaniment to the afternoon
 I said Paul could use the photo I'd Tweeted of them, and I was putting more on the blog, but realise they're all the same, sorry about that.


 This is quite a nice photo of a 'yarn bombed' tree, basically it's covered in woolly bobbles, with bang to Rites in the background.
So we're all set now for a great growing season. Roll on spring, or at least longer days.

No comments:

Post a Comment