Monday, 17 October 2016

Hardy's Cottage Garden Plants

Visiting Hardy's nursery was something I'd been wanting to do for a while, having seen Rosy Hardy at plant fairs and read her Tweets. The nursery is situated at Freefolk near Whitchurch, on the way to the south coast from here, so fitted in nicely with a trip to Emsworth.
Since visiting I've looked up the website and found they stock over 1200 plant varieties including many rare and exciting species. Their plants are home grown herbaceous perennials grown outdoors in peat free compost, ready to plant out into the garden.
On arrival, we were greeted by two members of staff who were ready to help us find whatever we were looking for, but we did what I think lots of people do, browsed through all of the plants making a mental note of those which could not be left behind!
 We could have looked at the benches by the entrance and bought plants from there:

 but it was much more fun to look at every plant laid out in order of colour and some other criteria:
I ended up with 13 plants which are absolutely wonderful:
I've redesigned beds to accommodate them, and am very pleased with the results. I think my favourite is Scabiosa columbaria subsp ochroleuca 'Moon Dance', although Coreopsis verticillata Moonbeam comes a close second.



No comments:

Post a Comment